INFINITY AND BEYOND

By on July 21st, 2010

sully

So, after much anticipation, I saw Toy Story 3 last night at my local movieplex. I won’t say much now as my review is in the works and will follow later in the week but, suffice to say, I loved it.

I thought I’d look back over my favourite mini-masterpieces of pixelated perfection by the CG wizards, as a little homage, to whet your appetite for more of the similar, with a little PIXAR retrospective.

MIKE’S NEW CAR
Push the button!!! A simple but hilarious short. Monsters Inc. cleverly used universal humour that could be appreciated by all ages, a hallmark of PIXAR animation that would come to characterise the films to follow, as they proved it is possible to the keep kids entertained and their parents sane/awake.

FOR THE BIRDS
As I came to expect and look forward to the little shorts that became part of the PIXAR promise, this is one that I particularly enjoyed. For the Birds is a very charming little film and reset the standard in animation, again.

PARTLY CLOUDY
This preceded UP, which had the courage and the sensitivity to tackle some pretty serious issues without getting too heavy. Partly Cloudy, in true PIXAR fashion, delivers a wholesome message wrapped in a giggle.

Everyone knows that the stork delivers babies, but where do the storks get the babies from? The answer lies up in the stratosphere…

LIFTED
Failure is an option…
I love this one; it’s just so much fun and is another example of how a simple idea can, in the right hands, work so well. For me, the way you tell the story is almost as important as the story you tell and PIXAR tell good stories, well.From Toy Story to Toy Story 3 it’s been a wonderful journey of discovery for the animators, and those they entertain. Each new film has continued to surpass the last (with the possible exception of 2006’s critically and commercially under-whelming Cars, an unknown combo on Planet PIXAR) and with the final chapter (probably) in Woody and Buzz’s adventure already garnering 5 stars here, and 99% Tomato-meter ratings there, it seems pretty fair to assume that the world’s love affair with PIXAR will live fondly in our collective movie memory, long after Andy has graduated from college and is married with children.

pixar

18 Responses to “INFINITY AND BEYOND”

1. 1 rtm
    July 22nd, 2010 at 3:36 am

Love Mike Wazowski!! He’s just so adorable with his one eye and voiced by Billy Crystal he’s just perfection. Did you read my tribute to Pixar yet? Instead of reviewing TS3, I posted my Top 5 Fave Pixar characters: http://wp.me/pxXPC-1GH

Oh yeah, I love For the Birds, amazing how much humor and emotion can be conveyed without ANY words! They have such genius writers to come up with such great concepts.

2. 2 Ronan
    July 22nd, 2010 at 12:01 pm

@rtm It’s my lunchtime reading material, thanks Ruth. I agree completely. Whatever anybody says about PIXAR and their animation credentials, the thing I love most about their films is their sense of humour and their consistently great characters.

3. 3 Irina
    July 23rd, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Mike Wazowski is da best!
    I also love Presto! hilarious!! http://www.gamaniak.com/video-2822-presto-pixar.html

4. 4 Ronan Wright
    July 23rd, 2010 at 6:55 pm

@Irina yeah, that’s a good one, very funny. I love the chemistry between the Magician and the rabbit. Thanks for the link :-)

5. 5 Róisín
    July 24th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Really enjoyed this post!
    If I had to choose a favourite, it would be Partly Cloudy or Mike’s New Car.
    If clouds rain when they’re sad, then the clouds over Ireland must have the blues all the time :)

I love this one – I love its message and it makes me chuckle every time when he starts his main dance on the rock: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4261130809957959046#

I haven’t read your Inception review, as I’ve yet to see the film!

6. 6 Novroz
    July 25th, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I love pixar more than disney, pixar has more depth in their story.

But I haven’t watched toy story 3 yet…I missed it when they play it in the cinema…got lots of work to do at that time. I have to wait for the dvd now.

7. 7 Ronan
    July 26th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

@Roisin Thanks for the link Roisin. Have you seen Inception yet? I am excaping to the sun soon, woop!

8. 8 Ronan
    July 26th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

@Novroz TS3 was my favourite of the Toy Story films, it was the most ambitious and deals with some pretty heavy issues, which are good for kids to be aware of at an early age I think.

9. 9 Róisín
    July 26th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

@Ronan Nope, I didn’t get to see Inception. However, I did catch Luna: Spirit of the Whale on RTE 1, starring Jason Priestly :(

10. 10 Ronan
    July 26th, 2010 at 7:58 pm

@Roisin Haha Lucky you. I have an image of you strapped to the sofa with your eyelids forced open, Clockwork Orange style :-)

11. 11 Róisín
    July 26th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

@Ronan That only happens for Murder She Wrote: The Celtic Riddle.

12. 12 Ronan
    July 27th, 2010 at 9:12 pm

@Roisin You too? And that’s all she wrote!

13. 13 Darren
    July 28th, 2010 at 8:22 am

I have a soft spot for Presto, but I think Night & Day (the newest short) might be up there as well. Disney should hire Pixar to do shorts in front of all their films. Hell, they should bring back theatrical shorts in general.

14. 14 Ronan
    July 28th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

@Darren Amen to that, I loved Night and Day and it be great to see a new mini-genre in theatrical shorts (hey, there’s a blog-post in there somewhere 😉

15. 15 Novroz
    July 29th, 2010 at 10:47 pm

@Ronan my students told me TS 3 is quite sad.

16. 16 Ronan
    August 1st, 2010 at 1:34 pm

@Novroz It is sad in places but I think ultimately it is positive and it is has a good ending. All’s well that ends well, that’s the Disney way.

17. 17 Irina
    August 2nd, 2010 at 10:38 am

New post?

18. 18 Ronan Wright
    August 2nd, 2010 at 11:52 am

@Irina In the works Irina, nice to know they are missed. :-)